With so many of you pretty people sporting shorter hair right now, it seems like the only thing growing is our short hair style request list here in the TBD office. Today we’re doing a fairly simple look geared specifically toward the bob. You can do this with or without bangs and the best thing is, the actual half-updo requires no heat tools (other than styling your hair in the morning, or air dry if you prefer) so it can be done after work on the way to a holiday party or a hawt date. Add some sparkle in the back if you’re going to a wedding.
Pop in a wide comb with a cool vibe like these:
Or more sparkly pieces like these:
- You’ll want to dry your hair with a bit of texture. In otherwords, air dry if you have natural wave or add some wave if you don’t. Light wand waves or flat iron waves will do the trick. If you have curly hair, you may want to blow it out to get this particular look but you should also try doing it curly as well! Add a little texture spray of choice. Here in photo 1, we broke out ! It gives a soft beachy feel.
- Now tease your crown area lightly.
- Add a little of (which is on sale right now, btw!). This helps the tease stay in place without having to backcomb too aggressively. Lightly sprinkle some powder into the crown and tap it into the light back combing.
- Pinch both sides together in back of the head. Twist them over once and then secure with a bobby pin. The texture powder will also help the bobbypins stay in place and not slide out.
- Go in with aand pull up a little as you see in photo 5 for a little extra height.
- Tilt your head foreward and give the back a little veil of hairspray. We used but you can use whatever you’ve got! It’s just for a tiny bit of extra hold.
- Now, I like to go into the crown area (to the side of and above the bobby pins) and put my fingers into the hair tousseling up the texture just a little bit. Nothing crazy. It just makes it appear a bit more lived in. This is fully optional and you can leave it smooth if you prefer!
- Check the back in a hand mirror to make sure it feels balanced. Then check from the side as well to see that it looks good with your profile.
You can see that Caitlyn has bangs, but again, this can be done without bangs. Just choose which side you want to part on before getting started. Here’s a pretty shot of it with a comb from our friend .
Enjoy, shorties! And stay tuned for more!