Confession: we’re serial snackers. While three meals per day is lovely in theory, we always manage to squeeze in a bite after breakfast, and again right before dinner (that doesn’t include lunch, of course!). But, rather than do serious damage on a bag of potato chips, we’re all about healthy mini meals that provide energy and a slew of beauty benefits.
Ready to kick your Frito-Lay habit to the curb? Stock up on Greek yogurt and these toppings next time you’re cruising the local grocery store. Smoother skin, fewer wrinkles, and stronger hair is served!
1. Blueberries – Remember when we added a handful of blueberries to our summer salad two weeks ago? The tiny berries are loaded with antioxidants, which have been dubbed by many as nature’s fountain of youth. Chow down and expect skin to look firm and glowing.
2. Nectarines – Hands-down, nectarines are the perfect addition to any summer dish. Not only are they often sweeter than peaches, they’re also rich in vitamin A and potassium (the former is an essential vitamin because of its ability to rebuild tissues and help heal scrapes, wounds, and other skin damages, the latter keeps cells hydrated and skin internally moisturized).
3. Walnuts (as also seen here when we created our summer salad) – If bad hair days have become the norm, add walnuts to your diet. As an excellent source of biotin, the nutrient strengthens tresses and promotes quicker hair growth.
4. Almonds – Is a bunch of acne owning some real estate on your forehead? Want to evict that blackhead from your nose? Rule 1: do not pop! Rule 2: scarf down some almonds. You can thank the nut’s abundance of vitamin E for that much smoother mug.
5. Hemp Seed – The trend of going organic isn’t just at your grocery store — many beauty brands are including hemp into their recipes for soaps, shampoos, and even toothpastes. The slew of vitamins, calcium, sodium, iron, and dietary fiber are not only great for good heart health, but they also help clear up skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, and dark spots.
6. Chia Seed – We sprinkle these bad boys on everything from oatmeal to fruit shakes. Why? Well, the little black seeds are the highest natural source of omega-3s, a fatty acid helps strengthen cell membrane barriers, helping to keep water and nutrients in and toxins out. Meaning a natural glow is just a few bites away!
7. Greek Yogurt – Often times the amount of protein found in Greek yogurt is double the amount that you’d find in a regular variety. Add a single serving to your diet, and fine lines will become a distant memory.
8. Honey – Step away from the sugar! If you need to add some sweetness to your meal, opt for a spoonful of honey instead. It will give you added energy without the inevitable crash that the refined sugars always provide.